Quality and Food Safety Scientist IJob ID SCIEN12747 Location Northfield, MN Date posted 11/18/2020
OVERVIEW: Provide technical quality and food safety support to Operations, Engineering/Maintenance, and Product Development with an emphasis on continuous improvement, consumer/customer requirements, and continuous product quality. Support, implement, and maintain food safety practices as required through SQF. Responsible for completing job duties in a manner that supports all plant safety, food safety, quality, and environmental practices.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Provide daily business support by attending and reporting out (where appropriate) business, project, test lot meetings.
- Coordinate, perform, and write work instructions as requested.
- Conduct consumer and customer complaint investigations and report findings to consumer affairs group.
- Work with Senior QFS Scientist to manage Food Safety Plan (FSP) process, including reviewing existing plans, modifying plans for new products/processes, and verifying current plans.
- Develop and conduct Quality and Food Safety function training for assigned Plants.
- Support the Plant Quality and Food Safety Manager in planning plant quality systems, procedures and methodologies to meet internal and external customer expectations.
- Interact with ingredient vendors by providing information and insight into non-compliant ingredient occurrences to track costs and assist in corrective action procedures.
- Work cross-functionally when problems arise to investigate and understand root cause and facilitate the holding/sampling and disposition of the product.
- Analyze noncompliance trends for assigned plants and develop improvement plans in conjunction with Plant Quality Assurance and Food Safety Manager and Operations Management.
- Collaborate with the Senior QFS Scientist for support of all audit activities, including preparation, support during the audit(s), and potential follow-up.
- Provide support to Operations for prerequisite program development outlined in the Food Safety Plan.
- Serve as back-up to Senior Quality and Food Safety Scientist.
- Back-up other positions in the department as needed.
- Four-year college degree in Food Science, Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, or other related field of study strongly preferred.
- Preventative Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI), HACCP, Food Defense, and SQF Certification preferred.
Minimum of 3 years food product experience required preferably as a QA Technician or Quality Supervisor
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to work with a PC and have demonstrated math/statistical computation skills
- Knowledge of SPC
- Ability to work safely with chemicals, as well as, in and around equipment
- Ability to compile, analyze and present collected data in summary form as well as being capable of performing a variety of tests.
- Ability to communicate technical, scientific, and regulatory information, both written and verbally.
- Interpersonal and presentation skills, including the ability to make presentations, facilitate meetings, probe for root cause, and provide training to various groups within the organization
- Knowledge of CI problem solving tools.