Transportation Planner, Lakeville, MNJob ID TRANS06676 Date posted 02/21/2019
The Transportation Planner is responsible for the day-to-day management of freight orders throughout the supply chain. This position ensures that transportation is planned to balance service and cost, while maintaining strong relationships with carriers, customers and the PCB supply chain. This position also develops logistics solutions that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of PCB to support company growth.
This position interacts with:
- Customer Solutions – to meet customer expectations for on time delivery
- Supply Chain Planning – to communicate costs associated with redeployment and assist in repositioning
- Warehousing – to create shipping schedules that can be executed and act as a liaison with carriers
- Purchasing – to meet delivery expectations of inbound materials and ingredients
- Plant Operations – to ensure appropriate equipment is available to most efficiently support the business
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Customer Focus
- Achieve and maintain alignment in the value chain between suppliers, PCB and the Customer
- Serve as the transportation expert regarding the delivery of shipments to and from PCB.
- Effectively and efficiently manage freight orders by providing appropriate communication to PCB internal customers, PCB freight vendors (carriers) and PCB external customers.
- Technical / Functional Expertise
- Transportation Planning
- Runs transportation routing and scheduling plan on a daily basis, including Customer deliveries, plant transfers, inbound materials and other freight movements for the company.
- Utilize OTM (Transportation Management System) to manage capacity across carriers, lanes, PCB facilities, and customers to maintain service and provide lowest delivered cost.
- Utilize EDI Technology to communicate and finalize transportation plans and manage reporting of carrier activities.
- Recommends and implements strategies that expand the use of our TMS system to result in fewer manual processes.
- Handle Freight Billing Exceptions between PCB, Carriers, Unloading Services and Customers through Freight Payment process.
- Local Facility Transportation Liaison
- Support assigned facilities as a liaison to transportation, carriers, and freight vendors.
- Provide support for carriers and freight vendors through the supply chain for shipments from and to assigned facilities.
- Manage trailer pools for loading & unloading and ensure all company procedures are being followed for PCB.
- Provide information and analysis of OTD (On-Time Delivery) results to Transportation Management and Supply Chain stakeholders.
- Monitor and manage key performance metrics for motor carriers and freight vendors and provide actions to improve upon these key metrics.
- Manage inbound appointment processes for assigned PCB facilities.
- Serve as an overall expert for Transportation Management Systems (OTM), EDI Transactions related to transportation, and location scheduling resources
- Have a strong understanding and working concept of other internal systems that interact with transportation such as High Jump WMS, Cognos Business Intelligence tools, and any future systems.
- Provide feedback regarding system performance and offer solutions to improve systems, procedures, or operating standards.
- Transportation Planning
- Create transportation plans that minimize costs, meet customer service requirements and manage transportation carrier capacity.
- Operate within Logistics and Transportation policies and procedures: communicate exceptions and recommendations to Supply Chain stakeholders.
- Report on key performance metrics, including but not limited to: On-Time Delivery to Buyer Request Date, On-Time Delivery to Carrier Appointment, Cost Per Pallet, Carrier Load Acceptance, and Carrier Trailer Acceptance
- Identify and quantify opportunities in transportation and logistics to reduce supply chain costs and improve service.
- Generate a transportation plan that meets the service needs of internal and external customers while managing the capacity of transportation vendors and minimizing costs.
- Develop strong relationships with transportation vendors and internal PCB contacts and be a liaison between them.
- Meet with transportation vendor representatives along with department managers to provide feedback on performance, understand their operations, and provide specific details around successes and opportunities for improvement.
- Proactively establish and implement countermeasures to negative trends.
- Continuous Improvement
- Identify and implement process improvements that positively impact transportation, logistics, and the overall supply chain.
- Participate in assigned Customer Team meetings to review customer needs and report back to transportation group on progress
- Provide suggestions for transportation vendor improvements and work with vendors to implement improvements through the PCB system.
- Document suggested system and process enhancements and work with transportation managers to utilize the ITWR system to begin system changes.
- Organization and People Development
- Development – Develop yourself against the competency profiles for successful leaders at PCB.
- Provide leadership within the transportation team and cross functionally represent the group as a professional and viable resource for the company to customers, both internally and externally.
- Other – Perform other projects, functions and services as required or assigned.
Skills: Broad knowledge of logistics processes and planning systems. Cost control, cost: benefit analysis and the implementation of productivity improvements. Good communication and presentation skills. Demonstrated good business judgment; good understanding of economic principles affecting decisions related to transportation. Good understanding of modes of transportation including international and rail, shipping lanes and material handling. Good initiative. A high level of competence in PC applications and the ability to use technology as a decision support tool. Skill in prioritizing workloads and stress management. Ability to coordinate and move forward on planned activities in a team environment.
Management Skills: Collaboration, decision-making, problem solving, results orientation, ability to establish clear objectives for self and others; ability to identify and evaluate tactical methods to achieve objectives; identify deviations from plan and facilitate resolution. Ability to handle confidential information appropriately. Ability to focus on Transportation strategies that provide the lowest landed costs, while meeting our internal and external customer requirements.
4-year college degree in Transportation, Warehousing, Integrated logistics and Supply Chain. Professional certification in transportation is desirable.
Minimum of 3 years’ experience operating in a supply chain-planning environment in areas of operations, materials management, transportation planning, carrier management or warehousing. Thorough understanding and experience in the use of TMS, WMS, EDI and other Supply Chain software applications. Exposure to Lean Six Sigma principles helpful.
Licenses & Certifications
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.