Sr. Manager, Sales Strategy & Trade - Lakeville, MNJob ID SRMGR09805 Date posted 01/22/2020
At Post Consumer Brands, we are driven by a single mission: Make Better Happen. This mission is multi-faceted and applies to the consumers we serve, the customers we partner with, and the shareholder value that we create. We are committed to safe, delicious breakfast cereal that is safely produced and responsibly marketed. We are a growth-minded food company that believes deeply in the power of teamwork…and we are looking for our next member of the team.
With more than 85% of households in the United States buying cereal, our brands (Malt-o-Meal, Honey Bunches of Oats, Pebbles, Great Grains, Honeycomb, Grape Nuts, Alpha bits, and more) have been honored to compete in a large category and fill an important space in our consumers’ cupboards for more than 100 years and counting!
In an effort to Make Better Happen, we are hiring a Senior Manager of Sales Strategy and Trade. As aSenior Manager of Sales Strategy and Trade (SS&T), you will be accountable for delivering against revenue and profit objectives within a diverse set of US retail customers. This role will be responsible for the cross-functional development and implementation of specific customer strategies within a $150MM+ sales territory, comprised of a complex portfolio that includes national chain retailers across the United States. This role will work on the development and execution of cross-functional reporting elements with a specific focus on Integrated Business Planning (IBP) inputs for both Sales and Trade. The Senior Manager of Sales Strategy and Trade position requires the ability to create and present action-oriented presentations to broad audiences, including Sales, Marketing, Finance, Executive team and assigned customers. The role requires the ability to work in a dynamic and changing environment with shifting job requirements and daily priorities. It also requires the ability to work closely with sales teams and cross functional partners such as: supply chain, marketing and finance to work on business solutions to drive profitable sales and deliver PCB objectives. This role also will work and manage IBP on-going project work.
JOB ACTIVITIES AND DUTIES
- Manage the development and execution of both long range and annual customer plans to achieve company objectives
- Lead cross-functional efforts with Brand and Shopper Marketing, Supply Chain and Trade Finance, to build customer specific strategies that align with corporate objectives
- Work with Marketing to provide sales direction on marketing brand plan expectations and to develop detailed sales plans, to deliver against PCB strategies within approved trade rates.
- Achieve agreed upon net sales targets for new innovation items at assigned channels/customers at overall ACV target. SS&T to work as a champion for sales on working with Marketing to provide ACV goal targets and to ensure sales has the marketing/shopper support needed to achieve new item goals.
- A leader of SS&T to execute Trade Approval Process and annual/quarterly account planning for Gap Planning and to provide an ongoing pipeline of sales investments at assigned retailers (gap plans if under delivering plan or investments in the future when over delivering)
- Work as internal HQ sales lead for account teams to work cross functionally with marketing on bringing their plans to execution at assigned retailers.
- Collaborate with Category Insights and Analytics team on developing the 4P’s Review process focusing on promotional analysis, distribution voids, shelf placement and pricing optimization
- Work with the Sales teams as a leader in the customer planning process and is responsible for the management of sales volume and trade budget objectives at all customers for their assigned region
- Build and execute customer specific programs that align with brand objectives to drive retail activities in support of the company’s growth and profit objectives
- Develop and present Account Review meetings on a quarterly basis
- Demonstrate consistent thought leadership by driving strategic cross-functional projects, process development and initiative execution, in addition to core responsibilities
- Effectively lead a team of Managers, Associates and Specialists by providing guidance and prioritization. Build a deep talent pipeline for the organization through consistent career development and pathing discussions
- Partner with Data Manager to design and develop robust trade reporting tools that will enable visibility to trade spends, historical performance, assess promotional ROI and strategically plan for the future
- Coordinate and communicate to assigned customers the Trade plans for company Sales & Marketing Initiatives
- Analyze customer slotting and conversion requests, Business Planning Dashboard requests and customer specific program requests
- Manage, approve and communicate account trade expectations per guidelines while managing within budgetary guidelines
- Collaborate with Trade Finance team to offer pricing/program recommendations based on customer and product distribution priorities
- Collaborate with Trade Analytics team on post promotion analysis for assigned customers
- Participate in weekly sales team calls, customer planning sessions, account calls, and sales audits
- Excess Opportunities –owns strategic approach to targeted accounts and price points
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business or marketing required. MBA a plus.
Experience: Minimum 8+ years’ experience. Finance, marketing, supply chain or sales experience within consumer package goods industry preferred.Experience with trade planning & management software a plus. Experience with large, strategic accounts strongly preferred. Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills required. Strong verbal and written communication skills required. Manager should have ability to influence without direct authority and interpret needs of sales to provide creative solutions for customers that deliver company objectives. Manager must have critical/ analytical/ strategic thinking skills and have the ability to organize own work and set priorities.
Management Skills: Ability to manage multiple projects with aggressive timelines. Manage projects through other departments and outside suppliers with the ability to resolve higher level problems. Able to budget for projects, control costs and evaluate results with the ability to lead, manage and provide direction to internal and external customers as well as direct reports.
Relationships: Primary internal contact is with all levels of Marketing and Sales as well as other cross functional groups. Ability to effectively communicate and influence all members of the Sales force, including Regional VPs, as well as cross functional business partners is critical to the success of this role.
Work Structure: Reports to Director, Sales Strategy & Trade but may receive assignments from Vice President Sales Strategy & Customer Marketing. Individual must be a self-starter, capable of operating at a high level of performance in an environment that is dynamic, constantly changing, and flexibly structured.
Travel: Up to 25% of time.