Quality Food Safety Scientist - Lakeville, MNJob ID QUALI05579 Date posted 09/22/2018
This position will oversee the quality and food safety of a portfolio of materials and suppliers for the Post Consumer Brands External Quality Food Safety group. Included in the scope of this position are ingredients, packaging materials, suppliers, contract manufacturers and Distribution Centers. Responsibilities primarily include new material and supplier approvals, ongoing quality and food safety support, initial and routine supplier audits, supplier corrective actions and metrics.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. Conduct initial quality and food safety review of all new materials and suppliers within the assigned area of responsibility based on documentation provided and external literature search. Identify food safety risks, assign food safety risk ranking, identify controls and verification requirements. Properly document and communicate results.
2. Schedule and conduct assigned audits, write and circulate audit reports in a timely manner, receive and approve corrective actions from suppliers and keep management abreast of suppliers with significant non compliances especially those that can be considered a food safety risk.
3. Work collaboratively with R&D, Procurement, Technical Excellence, Site Scientists and plant Quality in support of material and supplier activities, corrective actions, etc. within the assigned area of responsibility.
4. Assure any and all documentation within the assigned area of responsibility are accurate and up to date. These include, but are not limited to, Ingredient Specifications, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), Work Instructions, risk assessments, etc.
5. Provides information, corrective actions, results and other pertinent information pertaining to the quality and food safety within the assigned area of responsibility as part of the Supplier Scorecard on a quarterly basis.
6. Maintain the Organic and non GMO Project Verified certifications depending on the assigned area of responsibility. Included in the responsibilities are the ingredient and finished product certifications.
7. Keep abreast of industry trends in food safety, regulations and/or new food safety risks. Work collaboratively to modify current procedures to meet these changing conditions.
8. Share best practices and build relationships both internally and externally. Be active in industry groups as well as within the greater Post Holdings organization sharing information, concerns and solutions to supplier related issues.
9. All other duties as assigned.
1. Minimum 4-year college degree in a science discipline, preferably food science or food safety.
2. Certification in auditing.
3. Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) certification.
1. A minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience in a Quality and Food Safety discipline, preferably with low moisture foods.
2. Thorough understanding and practical experience with the requirements in the Current Good Manufacturing Practice and Hazard Analysis and Risk Based Preventive Controls for Human Foods”.
1. Must be able to travel both within the United States and internationally up to 50% of the time
Licenses & Certifications
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.