Quality Food Safety Scientist - Lakeville, MNJob ID QUALI05368 Date posted 08/28/2018
This position will manage the supplier audit program for Post Consumer Brands External Quality Food Safety group. Included in the scope of audits are ingredient and packaging suppliers, co-manufacturers, co-packers, co-assemblers and Distribution Centers. Included in the role is conducting audits, writing reports, reviewing supplier corrective actions and providing metrics on the overall program.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. Work collaboratively with others in the External Quality Food Safety group to develop and carry out the annual supplier audit plan.
2. Schedule and conduct assigned audits, write and circulate audit reports in a timely manner, receive and approve corrective actions from suppliers and keep management abreast of suppliers with significant non compliances especially those that can be considered a food safety risk.
3. Oversee all supplier audits assigned to others in the External Quality Food Safety group or approved third party auditors to assure reports are written in a timely manner, corrective actions are received and any food safety risks are addressed and brought to the attention of External Quality Food Safety management.
4. Develop and maintain monthly metrics for supplier audits. Metrics should include, but not be limited to, audit completion rate, corrective action response rate, overall ratings and the identification of any serious food safety issues that have been identified as well as significant non compliances.
5. Categorize suppliers based on audit outcome and develop plans working collaboratively with suppliers and the Post Consumer Brands Sourcing and Logistics groups to bring all suppliers to an “acceptable” level.
6. Develop a pool of trained auditors both from internal as well as external sources. Assure all are trained and calibrated to Post Consumer Brands audit protocols.
7. Depending on industry trends in food safety, regulations and/or new food safety concerns modify the current audit protocols and reporting mechanisms to meet these changing conditions.
8. Share best practices and build relationships both internally and externally. Be active in industry groups as well as within the greater Post Holdings organization sharing information, concerns and solutions to supplier related issues.
9. All other duties as assigned.
Requires at least 60% domestic and international travel to conduct audits and inspections.
1. Minimum 4-year college degree in a science discipline, preferably food science or food safety.
2. Certification in auditing.
3. Preventive Controls Qualified Individual certification.
1. 5+ years’ experience in supplier auditing in the food industry, preferably with low moisture foods.
2. Thorough understanding and practical experience with the requirements in the Current Good Manufacturing Practice and Hazard Analysis and Risk Based Preventive Controls for Human Foods”.
1. Must have strong analytical and business judgment including demonstrated problem-solving and trouble-shooting skills.
2. Results driven for being the low cost producer and supporting company growth strategies.
3. Have strong bias for action, while proving the ability to inspire others.
4. Convey high level of optimism in finding ways to achieve aggressive targets.
5. Communicates a sense of purpose. Talks about the possibilities and is optimistic. Creates strong morale and spirit within teams.
6. Solves complex problems and prioritizes actions in a timely manner. Probes all sources for answers and can quickly sense what will help resolve issues.
7. Establish clear directions, lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner.
8. Speaks candidly and provides constructive feedback in a professional manner.
9. Organizes and manages projects; interacts, supports, facilitates and leads multi-functional work teams; leads teams to consensus; strong negotiation skills.
10. Able to build strong and diverse relationships across the business groups they partner with. Supports and fosters change.
11. Demonstrates a passion for safety. Able to develop and maintain a respectful and safe work environment.
Licenses & Certifications
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.